Lexus was seeking a redesign of their Inventory Search application, which was used in dealership kiosks across the US. We were only working on the creative, but I saw an opportunity to create a more successful kiosk experience when I found out that people weren't even using the existing kiosks.
- Advised agency partner and Lexus stakeholders on design and research strategy
- Created deliverables, presented, and gathered feedback for all design work
- Planned, moderated, and analyzed all research activities
- Lead workshops with clients and other team members
- Problems were beyond the UI itself (environment). Customers never used the existing kiosks, so a redesign would not solve the real problem
- Initial budget was set for visual comps only
- Client had low knowledge in UX process and methodology
- Stakeholder Interviews
- User Interviews
- User Flow Workshop
- Client Sketch Workshop
- Low-fidelity Wireframes
- Medium-fidelity Wireframes
I discovered during stakeholder meetings that customers never approach the kiosk, and so I recommended ethnography and user interviews to focus on uncovering the real issues.
After discovering that physical set-up, presentation, and location were the major issues, I proposed creating an easy-to-understand, visual guide (akin to computer hardware get started guides) for dealerships.
I then used the ethnographic research and personas to inform a user flow, which was then used for a six-up design sketch workshop with my team and client.
Finally, I presented multiple concept low-fidelity wireframes to lock down an interaction style. Once it was signed off, I worked on medium-fidelity wireframes and worked iteratively with the client to fulfill technical and business logic requirements.
- Convinced Lexus to give us time/budget for conducting ethnography at dealerships which would help us come up with a smarter solution
- Because research and design was well received, Lexus asked us to redesign the entire kiosk experience
- Research that outlines specifically why the kiosks were not being used and how to fix the problems
- Client had a successful understanding of the value in UX research and design and even participated in workshops with me