Insomniac Events, a major electronic dance music festival provider, had just begun their own record label, Insomniac Records. Their goal was to create opportunities for unknown, up-and-coming producers to make it big and for their record label to find the next "Avicii." Unsure of what they wanted the digital experience to accomplish, they came to us for assistance in dreaming up of a product that could be industry-changing.
- Consult with stakeholders throughout process
- Pitch product idea and strategy
- Conduct research and translate into wireframes to demonstrate the idea
- Lack of an initial product strategy and idea
- How to make a record label website a destination instead of a brochure experience
- Complicated and disorganized record label approval process
- Supporting a helpless fanbase of young producers trying to get into the record label business
- Stakeholder Interviews
- Competitive Audit
- Social/Discussion Board Data Mining
- Feature Planning and Prioritization
- Product Strategy and Market Positioning
- Empathy Map
- Ad-hoc Persona
- User Flows
- Low fidelity and High-fidelity Wireframes
This project began with no product definition or requirements, so I started off with stakeholder interviews to at least gather their business goals.
Because the budget was low for heavy research, I did a competitive audit that focused on pros and cons around existing features and flows.
I also inserted myself into EDM producer communities on forums and Facebook to gain empathy and observe user needs.
I still needed more persona behaviors to work with, so I conducted an empathy map exercise to combine known behaviors and new ones from brainstorming. These produced features that supported user needs.
I then put together a product strategy brief that outlined competitive value propositions and features, along with ad-hoc personas and high-fidelity concept wireframes to show the product's grand vision brought to life.
- Initially a project for designing creative on a "coming soon" page became a giant research and design endeavor
- Insomniac and their partner Interscope Records were very enthusiastic about the product solution solving many problems
- A product idea built on user needs, complete with an MVP feature strategy; ready for production
- The product idea was built on an ecosystem that would satisfy all success metrics. This included encouraging producers to submit their music to Insomniac, promoting Insomniac artists, creating a strong social community, inventing a supportive record label approval process, and ultimately selling records.